Discovering the Pearl
From 11th to 23rd August 2014
Kampala | Uganda
Artistic Director: Tebandeke Samuel Lutaaya
The second edition of this introductory course is designed as a two week immersion into the cultural traditions of Uganda. A selection of the diverse traditional dances from across the country will be taught over the training period alongside other elements related to traditional Uganda dance such as the music, costuming, choreography and the like.
A program of excursions and discussions on the experiences of the participants will enrich the program participants as well as provide an opportunity for a memorable and fulfilling experience.
- Give dancers a chance to discover the cultural traditions of Uganda
- To highlight Ugandan Culture through dance and music, thereby raising the profile nationally and internationally.
- Stimulate cross cultural exchange and create opportunities for collaboration
- Contribute to the professional development of artists in varying stages in their career and from differing backgrounds and styles of performance
- Create an atmosphere for dancers from different cultures and backgrounds to share practice and collaborate through daily class, creative tasks and learning of traditional dances
- Classes in different traditional techniques and the accompanying music, the culture surrounding them, their meanings, their uses and discussions about each element
- Introduce dancers to choreographic concepts within traditional dance styles
- Give dancers opportunity to focus deeply on their work through an ‘In residence’ environment
- To take at least 2 field trips which will lend greater context to the class material
• Ugandan Traditional Dances: Choreography and Technique
• Brief history of the selected traditional dances
• Exchange and discovery through movement (the students of different origins between themselves).
• Instrumentation and the music from the selected traditional dances
• Discussions and exchanges between the students of different origins.
09:00 to 12:45 in the morning / 14:00 to 18:30 in the afternoon
09:30 to 12:30 on Saturdays
15-25 dancers from all continents are encouraged to apply. Successful participants will be selected according their CVs and their letter of motivation.
The cost of the training (2 weeks)
Accommodation: €15/ day = € 210
Food: € 9/ day = €126
Classes: 10 days x €16.4 = €164
Fees include: Airport transfers and local transportation to workshop venues and activities within Uganda
Participants are responsible for their own travel expenses to Uganda.
The deadline for all submissions is July 15th 2014.
Applicants will be notified by July 31st 2014.
Participants must be available for the entire length of the workshop
Please send your CV or biography, a motivation letter and two photos (a head shot and dance photo) to the following email address:
ALL AGES WELCOME!!!!